Thursday, April 5, 2007

eep opp ork ah ah or "on the 5"




Tomorrow Johanna (my baby) turns five. Wow! Time sure flies when you're barely awake. Takes me back to when I was five. A clear memory; We're having a re-enactment of the "Rooftop" concert by the Beatles (in this case, side two of Let It Be). The "we" being my two sisters and I in my bedroom in Lindenhurst, New York. We made paper guitars and taped paper microphones to the wall and we were belting out gems like " One After 909" at full child volume. I was always John Lennon. We were always missing a Ringo, too. One of the rare times we weren't fighting like all siblings do. Johanna's already a certified BeatleFreak so my work here is done. She's such a smarty. Tonight Jojo, my wife Kristie and I danced around this room to "Let's Get It Started" and she was having a blast. Another thing that's been rolling around the old hatrack is how thankful I am of all the things I have. I was sitting on the couch among the stuffed animals and toys last night rediscovering my favorite guitar. My Dad got it for me in '89 and it was and still is a fortune to spend on a plank of wood with some skinny metal bits stretched across it. I used to polish it all the time and eventually I just let it breathe. These days, I don't have a lot of time to mess around with it so last night was wonderful. It's been a good friend and has never let me down. Any important gig i've ever played has been with it. I've worn the laquer off the neck and it's got it's share of scars. Sometimes I can't believe it's mine. Thanks, Dad. You'll never know how much it means to me.

1 comment:

Keith said...

"Eep opp ork ah ah, and that means I love you!" My kitty-cat's nickname is Jet Screamer. I swoon when I say it.

Please give a huge happy b'day hug to Jojo from me!